Auto-Correct and Delimiters Bug

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Thu Dec 10 01:03:51 UTC 2020

On 12/9/20 10:10 AM, Rudi Gaelzer wrote:

> On terça-feira, 8 de dezembro de 2020 20:22:04 -03 you wrote:
>
> > At the moment, the * thing works with paired delimiters, but it only
>
> > changes the first one, which is definitely a bug. It should obviously
>
> > change both. I also don't know how hard that would be.
>

> > Riki
>

> Indeed. It works separately for "[" and for "]".
>
> It also works separately for "[" and for ")", which is not a bad thing
> per se.
>
> About my idea of browsing through the variable-sized delimiters,
> should I put it on the wishlist?

Sure. You can also play around with this yourself. There's a file,
autocorrect, that you can find in your LyX system directory. (Here it is
at /usr/share/lyx/autocorrect.) It's just a text file. The part that
controls this behavior looks like:

( * \bigl( \bigl( * \Bigl( \Bigl( * \biggl( \biggl( * \Biggl( \Biggl( *
( ) * \bigl) \bigl) * \Bigl) \Bigl) * \biggl) \biggl) * \Biggl) \Biggl)
* ) The first thing is what's there already; the next is the 'trigger';
the latter is the result. So you could do e.g.

( / [ [ / { { / (

and similarly for the right side, and now slash cycles through delimiter
types. You'd also have to do

\bigl( / \bigl[

etc for the sizes.

I think that if you copy the system autocorrect file to your local LyX
user directory (so, here, I'd put it at $HOME/.lyx/autocorrect), then
LyX will pick use your modified version. (This is generally true with
configuration files.)

I was just looking throguh that file. There's all kinds of cool stuff in
there!