no modules availables

José Abílio Matos jamatos at lyx.org
Sat Aug 15 09:36:53 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 15 August 2020 08.36.32 WEST Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
> I have followed the discussion and proposals on "no modules available"
> In my case I get:
>
>   python /usr/share/lyx/configure.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/share/lyx/configure.py", line 23, in <module>
>      filemode = 'w')
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/logging/__init__.py", line 1554, in basicConfig
>      hdlr = FileHandler(filename, mode)
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/logging/__init__.py", line 920, in __init__
>      StreamHandler.__init__(self, self._open())
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/logging/__init__.py", line 950, in _open
>      stream = open(self.baseFilename, self.mode)
> IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/share/lyx/configure.log'
>
> wolfgang at Fuji:/usr/share/lyx$ lyx
> Warning: Failed to produce 1 preview snippet(s)
>
> is this, what one would expect if everything is ok?
>
> Wolfgang

The problem here was that you tried to run the command in the /usr/share/lyx/
directory where you do not have permissions to write (and that is the intent).

To reproduce what lyx is doing go instead to your user directory:

$ cd ~/.lyx
$ python /usr/share/lyx/configure.py

That will reproduce the same call as lyx does.

If you try to run that command in any other directory lyx will create all the
files and directories present in the user directory. :-)

Tell us the result.

Regards,
--
José Abílio