Compiling LyX in debian buster

Pavel Sanda sanda at lyx.org
Mon Apr 20 12:00:29 UTC 2020

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 08:33:27AM +0200, Dr Eberhard Lisse wrote:
> Again, and considerations of not breaking the Open Source ideology
> aside, can this issue be solved by funding a license?

The problem is not really lyx-specific. Our main goal is to produce
source code. So at the end it is the users ditribution who needs to
ship certain version of Qt. Possible year-lag is not a huge problem.

What is concerning here is rather whole Qt-KDE community interaction.
Nontrivial percentage of Qt contributions comes from OSS comunity around.  Now,
being such developer, are you going to accept that you need to pay for your own
work if you need the fix soon? The worst possible outcome could be forking Qt
by the OSS community and that's where the "interesting" times would start :)
It wouldn't help the long-term future of the codebase neither for Qt-company nor
for the OSS community, but it might happen if QtC decide that mid-term revenue
is most important thing now.

For LyX itself there is not much to worry about, we'll likely just follow the
big players like KDE or distributions choice :)