Registry handling on windows (installer)

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Fri Mar 6 18:53:07 UTC 2020

On 3/6/20 5:21 AM, Yu Jin wrote:
> Am Fr., 6. März 2020 um 10:21 Uhr schrieb Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
> <lasgouttes at lyx.org <mailto:lasgouttes at lyx.org>>:
>
>     What I would propose for this kind of problem is to bundle a portable
>     version of imagemagick with LyX. I would expect that this does not
>     require registry hacking.
>

> Portable version would not need registry indeed. It contains a bunch
> of stuff LyX does not need though and is therefore much bigger than
> the one we are using now. Would you then also try looking through its
> files and see what could be deleted? My first thought is that we could
> delete all of those executables, which are the exact same size as
> "magick.exe", like "convert.exe", "compare.exe" .... We could delete
> "ffmpeg.exe" aswell, because its not in the current dependencies. And
> we probably dont need "IMDisplay.exe" and the "images" and "www"
> folders. Im not sure how much Imagemagick and ghostscript LyX uses though.
> I have just tried to remove those files and I get a total size of
> 16MB. Conversion of images works, I have tried to convert pdf to eps,
> pdf to png, eps to png. And if eps to png is all ghostscript is used
> for, then we could also get rid of that and convert pdf directly to
> png. Or just dont deliver ghostscript and leave it as it is sinse eps
> to png uses magick command anyway.

There is something I have always wondered here, but never really
understood. Why do WE end to install ImageMagick? Why can't we just have
the user install it, like we do on other platforms, and then detect it
via the registry, if that's what we need to do? If we were going to use
configure.py for fix broken dependencies then we can just use it to
detect them in the first place, no? There is the issue that any
installed ImageMagick will be bigger than what we ship. But the huge
benefit is that, if there's a security issue with ImageMagick (as there
sometimes is), we don't have to issue a new LyX installer to fix it.

I'd ask the same questions about Ghostscript and Python.