Testing Release

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Wed Mar 4 19:51:09 UTC 2020

On 3/4/20 2:51 AM, Daniel wrote:
> On 2020-03-03 20:31, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
>> In order that stable branch get more testing on Windows, it is my
>> intention to release a 'bi-weekly' or something built from 2.3.x. I'll
>> package it up for Windows in the next few days. If anyone wants to do
>> something similar for other platforms, let me know, and we can
>> co-ordinate the announcement. (Should we include lyx-users or limit it
>> to lyx-devel?) The package itself is here:
>>
>>      http://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/devel/lyx-2.3/
>>
>> as usual.
>>
>> Riki
>
> Great. I am not on Windows but macOS most of the time at the moment
> but will get back to Windows at some point. I'd love to install that
> version. Actually, even more a version of master.

Can you compile on OSX? Several folks here seem to do that.

I have thought about devel releases, as well, but I'd be reluctant to
make those too widely available. It seems a good bar to working with
that, before we get to alpha, that you be able to compile it.

> It seems to me whether to anounce this or not on the users list
> depends on what you want testing of. If it's only to test whether LyX
> installs properly, then it's probably enough if some developers try
> it. But if you need more general testing (on Windows), then it seems a
> good idea to announce this on the users list as well and have a link
> on the website. As long as it is made clear that "Bi-weekly LyX" is an
> *unstable* testing and development version.

I really want testing of the program, so that we don't run into problems
like we did with 2.3.4. With the small number of developers on Windows
now, we just don't get serious testing of stable.

I suppose we could start with lyx-devel and ask people to report if
they're testing, and if we don't get enough people...