How to Specify PDF Attachments?

Jean-Pierre Chrétien jeanpierre.chretien at free.fr
Wed Feb 26 12:51:21 UTC 2020

Le 26/02/2020 à 07:47, Joel Kulesza a écrit :
> LyX Developers,
>
> Recently, I've been making increased, and good, use of PDF attachments (e.g.,
> Appendix A of this technical report: https://www.osti.gov/biblio/1574726).
>
> I've achieved this with the `navigator` and `embedfile` packages using ERT.
>   `embedfile` is my preferred approach because it interacts better with
> `tcolorbox`, has a slightly more simple interface, and has not otherwise caused
> problems or shown a deficiency.
>
> *Is there a way to achieve this natively in LyX?*  I have not found a way via
> menus or Help.  Sorry if I overlooked this.
>
> *If this is not currently possible, I want to solicit your thoughts on how to
> incorporate such functionality.*  My immediate thought is by using the Insert ->
> File -> Child Document dialog with an additional checkbox to "Attach file to
> output".  This assumes that the file will be included in the document in some
> other fashion.  It is reasonable for someone to merely attach the file without
> incorporating it otherwise.  In that case, this would not be quite right.
> Further, I opt for a checkbox rather than another dropdown entry to minimize the
> number of times the file must be browsed/specified (in case it should be listed
> and attached).
>
> I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how to proceed to achieve this
> functionality natively in LyX conveniently, intuitively, and while avoiding
> duplication of data (i.e., file paths). *Once an approach is identified, I'll
> file a ticket in the tracker and will begin coding to that end.*
>
> In the meantime, please contact me with any comments, questions, or concerns.

My personal practice to include pdf docs is to use pdfpages, as it allows to
keep the running headers and document page numbering and a lot of tricks.

But there is a lot of options to the package, so I guess Pavel's suggestion to
use external material machinery is the right approach. Just adding a checkbox to
the include/input menu will not do it.

--
Jean-Pierre