Standard key binding for SyncTeX forward-search?

Stephan Witt st.witt at gmx.net
Fri Feb 21 06:38:53 UTC 2020

Am 20.02.2020 um 23:06 schrieb Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <lasgouttes at lyx.org>:

> Le 20/02/2020 à 22:10, Stephan Witt a écrit :
>> Am 20.02.2020 um 19:24 schrieb Kornel Benko <kornel at lyx.org>:
>> Ok, now I propose this for forward-search:
>> \bind "C-S-colon"                    "forward-search"
>> \bind "C-S-period"                   "forward-search"
>> The duplication is intentional to make it work for different keyboard layouts.
>> Is this duplication acceptable or is there some other technique to solve this?
>
> Normally, it is possible to use ~S to mean "do not care about shift". I am not sure that this works as well as expected, though.

Yes, here it works. But with DE and US only as you might expect.

> Note that colon and period are not on the same key for french keyboards.

Ok, I’ve checked US, ES and IT keyboards. I’ve „installed“ FR (PC) now and checked it.
I cannot find a good combination to match all possibilities...

> Also, some programs use Ctrl-click for forward search. This could be hard-coded here, I do not think that we use it.

Skim uses Ctrl-Shift-Click (aka Command-Shift-Click) on Mac.
I thought about hard coding it already but had qualms about it.

Standard X-desktop applications on Unix are able to bind actions
on mouse event too. Would it be a honorable goal to make this
with LyX possible?

At the moment I prefer to add

\bind "C-A-F" "forward-search"

to mac.bind. I don’t think this modifier combination is available on other platforms.

Stephan

PS: Thank you for your time.