Perl and Indexing? [Re: Building windows installer questions]

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Wed Feb 19 20:11:43 UTC 2020

On 2/19/20 1:01 PM, Yu Jin wrote:

> Am Mi., 19. Feb. 2020 um 17:04 Uhr schrieb Richard Kimberly Heck
> <rikiheck at lyx.org <mailto:rikiheck at lyx.org>>:
>
>     If you do update these other tools, please send me a zip of the
>     dependencies package, so I can use it as well. (It'll be best to
>     put that somewhere on the web I can download it, if possible, as
>     it would make for a BIG mail attachment.)
>
> Ok, sounds good. I have found newer versions of most of the stuff.
> Could not find the small Perl version though. If I download it from
> here: http://strawberryperl.com/ , I get a huge version with a lot of
> files in there. How do you usually stripp it down?

I never have done that. What's there now is left over from when Uwe was
responsible.

I'm trying to remember why LyX needs Perl on Windows. If it were
possible to avoid it, that would be worth doing.

Actually, just saw in the change log: "install a stripped-down version
of Perl to be able to use LyX's feature to have several indexes also
when LyX is installed without admin privileges". I guess this must be
because one of the indexing things uses Perl? Jürgen, do you know about
this?