LyX 2.3.4 Windows Installer for Testing

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Wed Feb 5 04:40:03 UTC 2020

On 2/4/20 1:11 PM, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 06:40:35PM +0100, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
>> Am Dienstag, den 04.02.2020, 18:22 +0100 schrieb Pavel Sanda:
>>> Compiling user guide doesn't work for me for quite some time
>>> due to missing packages (some french & spanish babel related
>>> stuff).
>>> Likely just matter of installing them, then maybe other stuff
>>> pops up as well. I do not think we should really depend on
>>> so much stuff for basic manual, but I do not want to become
>>> maintainer either ;)
>> I still fail to understand why some distros do not install (babel)
>> language packages right away. Babel is so fundamental to LaTeX, after
>> all.
> I guess only english related stuff is considered as generic enough.
>
> It might be worth to report it, do we have clue whether adding all
> other languages is heavy in terms of space (are some dictionaries needed?)

We don't really control was various distros do, obviously. I wonder
whether it would be worth trying to pare down the User Guide a bit, so
that it was compilable with a relatively minimal LaTeX installation.
Stuff on multi-language support (which, I assume, is where these
dependencies come from) could be moved into the Additional Features
manual. That one, and the other manuals, have a lot of dependencies, for
relatively obvious reasons.