Preparing for development

Pavel Sanda sanda at lyx.org
Fri Jan 3 11:04:44 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jan 02, 2020 at 05:31:15PM +0100, Yu Jin wrote:
> Also you can edit the UI elements in QT Creator.

You can always use qt designer for that independently of qt-creator/visual
studio choice.

> I could not manage to get into the main window UI yet though, maybe you could
> tell me how it works?

IIRC main window is created manualy in the code, not through .ui file.

> 4. Even though LyX finds Python, it still does not display inserted pdf
> files (I guess that Python is used to display them). Maybe someone could
> give me a hint on where to start looking? I have not had a chance to learn
> Python yet. But if you could point me in the right direction, like which
> function to debug and what it basically does, it would be helpful.

It could be that you are missing some convertor (eg pdf->png).
Turning on debuging messages for conversion could give you some hint
whats going on:
View->Messages Pane->Settings->Selected & turn on "graphics" & try to
insert pdf image.

> I am up for maintaining the windows installer, I will train that and see what
> I can do.

That would be truly helpful. I think Riki can point you to the most recent
documentation how installer is built, you might need to learn little bit about
NSIS.