Possibly unwanted "stretchy" behavior in MathML output

Lorenzo Bertini lorenzobertini97 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 19:05:17 UTC 2019

Hi,

my xhtml output trough the LyXHTML option had brackets that always
matched the height of the equation for paired \left( \right) brackets,
as one would expect, but also for plain ( ) ones, which is unexpected.
This of course led to the final output having some ridiculously sized
brackets. The problem is the MathML attribute "stretchy=true" added to
the output in both cases. I can't think of any reason why this would
be the intended behavior, especially since using \big( \big) yields
the requested bracket size.

I git-cloned the source (2.3.4), removed all the "stretchy=true" from
output-xhtml.cpp and built, and in the output there weren't any
height-matching brackets, but I don't know c++ too well and don't have
experience with this project code to make this happen only for \left(
\right) pairs. Can someone help me out?

I think it's system/machine independent but I tried it on Debian 10
Stable and Lyx 2.3.2 (Deb packaged); cloned 2.3.4.