Double entry in unicodesymbols?

Guenter Milde milde at users.sf.net
Mon Mar 8 09:37:12 UTC 2021

On 2021-02-27, Kornel Benko wrote:

> I don't understand the two entries there

> 0x2217 "\\textasteriskcentered"   "textcomp" "force!=utf8x,deprecated" "\\ast" "" #
> ASTERISK OPERATOR
> 0x204e "\\textasteriskcentered"   "textcomp" "force=utf8x" "\\ast" "" # LOW ASTERISK

> In both cases the same entry but different unicode. Because of
> 'deprecated' is only '0x204e' valid?

For both Unicode points, \textasteriskcentered is the best matching LaTeX
macro.

OTOH, for LaTeX to Unicode, 0.204e LOW ASTERISK is the better match. The
"deprecated" tag overrides the default behaviour to take the first match (in
ascending Unicode point number order).

Cf. the similar case for

0x212b "\\AA" "" "force=utf8,deprecated" "" "" # ANGSTROM SIGN

0x00c5 "\\AA" "" "mathalpha" "\\mathring{A}" "" # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH RING ABOVE

Here, the Unicode standard explicitely states:

  212B	ANGSTROM SIGN
	* non SI length unit (=0.1 nm) named after A. J. Ångström, Swedish physicist
	* preferred representation is 00C5

Unicode preferences do not necessarily lead to a "deprecated" tag when there
are different matches with different requirements on the LaTeX side, e.g.

2126	OHM SIGN
	* SI unit of resistance, named after G. S. Ohm, German physicist
	* preferred representation is 03A9

but

0x03a9 "\\textgreek{\\textOmega}" "textgreek" "" "\\Omega" "" # GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA

0x2126 "\\textohm"                "textcomp|textgreek" "" # OHM SIGN

For documents that do not need other Greek text characters, textcomp
provides usually better matching Greek characters for µ and Ω and less
overhead that the Greek LaTeX text fonts.

Günter