Insert menu

Andrew Parsloe ajparsloe at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 21:16:55 UTC 2021

On 25/01/2021 11:15 pm, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
> Am Montag, dem 25.01.2021 um 16:56 +1300 schrieb Andrew Parsloe:
>> (LyX 2.4.0 alpha) Inserted a TOC recently. My eye ran down the Insert
>> menu to Table..., realised that wasn't it, then back up the list to
>> "List/Contents/References", found and duly inserted the TOC inset.
> Yes. This has been renamed, as the old name "List/TOC" was not adequate
> (it didn't cover "References", and TOC is too cryptic).
>
>> Looking at the items in the submenu, I feel Tthree of them (index,
>> nomenclature and bibliography) could helpfully be reassigned to a
>> separate item in the Insert menu, tentatively called "End matter".
>> Although the items in "End matter" are not always placed there, I
>> think that is generally the case, whereas lists of tables and figures
>> etc. are usually placed at the front.
> I don't think this is a very good category name. Also I think that
> these are all sorts of "lists" that can be grouped together. In German,
> we have the general term "Verzeichnisse" which perfectly fits them all
> (TOC is "Inhaltsverzeichnis", Bibliography "Literaturverzeichnis", List
> of Figure "Abbildungsverzeichnis", Index "Stichwortverzeichnis"). It is
> too bad that English (apparently due to some historical contingencies)
> distinguishes "lists", "tables" etc. So we need this rather crude entry
> for English.
>
> However, I do not think that we should structure the menu based on
> English semantics.
>
> Jürgen

English *syntax* perhaps? The semantics I had in mind was the division
of a book into three parts: prelims (i.e. preliminary pages), text or
body of the book, and end matter. Prelims is where the TOC and lists of
tables, figures, ... go. According to the style book that was my bible
during my former life as an indexer, Appendix, Notes, Glossary,
Bibliography and Index constitute  end matter. In fact, seeing Appendix
here has prompted me to transfer "Start Appendix Here" from the Document
menu to the "End matter" submenu in my personalized stdmenus.inc.

Andrew