Change LyX release numbering to Semantic Versioning

Pavel Sanda sanda at lyx.org
Wed Jan 13 15:31:01 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 03:12:10PM +0000, José Abílio Matos wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 2:37:54 PM WET Pavel Sanda wrote:
> > I guess that's the point where we break. I agree that moving from 2 to 3
> > signals major change. At the same time once some project moves to double
> > digits versions my experience is that I am no more keeping track which
> > version is which unless I have special interest in some bug etc.
>
> So let me see if I understand. You have a problem with LyX 10 but not with LyX
> 2.10 series. Is that correct?

No, as I have written in my first reply my proposal is to stay with single digits
as long as possible (i.e. for 2 maxing at 2.9) with an option to use sporadic
bumps to +1 version for unusual events (like unicode, Qt3->Qt4, XML, anniversaries).

> My other remark is that are not changes that meet the litmus test of being
> considered important enough to deserve the major version jump. There has not
> been none in the previous 20 years. If we applied this reasoning we would
> start work on the release of LyX 1.11.

Well, almost yes, we could be talking about 2.1 now and I do not see major
problem with that...