Change LyX release numbering to Semantic Versioning

José Abílio Matos jamatos at lyx.org
Mon Jan 11 20:59:55 UTC 2021

Today in the virtual meeting we discussed several of the issues regarding the
next major version for the stable release.

I am proposing here to change to a Semantic Versioning scheme. This can is
best described here:
https://semver.org/

So I am proposing for the next version to be 3.0.0.

The stable bug fix releases for this series would be 3.1.0, 3.2.0,...

If, for instance, there is a problem in the stable version 3.2.0 then we can
immediately release version 3.2.1.

Since we our release schedule is every two years this will keep us in low
numbers for a long time.

What do you think?

Best regards,
--