XML stream writer library

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Mon Jan 4 19:30:46 UTC 2021

On 1/3/21 3:37 PM, Lorenzo Bertini wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> In 12055 <https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/12055>, discussing the merge
> of some MathMLStream and XmlStream components, we were contemplating
> the possibility of using an external library to handle XML streams,
> for example with indentation and tag insertion. One of the candidates
> was QXmlStreamWriter <https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qxmlstreamwriter.html>
> class, but with the talk about removing unnecessary Qt components we
> thought to ask the list.
>
> Lest us know what do you think it's the best course, and if you know
> of other libraries we should look.

As I mention in the bug, I looked over various XML libraries a while
ago, when I was thinking about the long-standing idea of converting
LyX's own format to XML. There seemed to be a myriad of options, and I
never settled upon one. But it looks like there's a general feeling that
we don't want to get too married to Qt---any more than we already are.
That is in part because Qt seems to break itself fairly frequently
(especially on OSX) and partly because they keep changing their attitude
towards open source. There was some thing not long ago about how recent
updates would only be available to paid subscribers right away, or
something like that.

So I'd generally suggest searching around for good, well-maintained XML
libraries, maybe asking on Stack Exchange what people like. I'll send an
email to the Fedora list and see what suggestions pop up.