Bookmark Marker Weirdness

Jean-Marc Lasgouttes lasgouttes at lyx.org
Thu Feb 25 19:25:56 UTC 2021

Le 19/02/2021 à 22:05, Richard Kimberly Heck a écrit :
> If you put a bookmark into the middle of a paragraph, then the marker
> for it moves if you enter new material ahead of it. This is of course
> because the bookmark is keyed to paragraph and position, but it is very
> distracting on screen. I'm half inclined to suggest keying bookmarks
> just to paragraphs, since their position does change in this way. That
> would take care of the display problem, too.

I am completely aware that the current situation is not satisfying.

What I would like to do is to put the marker in the margin.
Unfortunately, we have to cater for the highly rare case where several
bookmarks are set in the same row. In this case, it would be necessary
to move the bookmark number vertically. But then we will not be sure
anymore that the bookmark number will be in the row/paragraph and we
will be displaying in the vertical territory of a different paragraph,
which can only lead to issues.

I can try first to implement the simple solution, so that we can see
whether it is good enough.

Not that nothing is lost since I can always revert the feature if we
cannot make it work satisfactorily.

JMarc