[LyX/master] #8055 use standard shortcut for font-emph on Mac

Stephan Witt st.witt at gmx.net
Mon Feb 15 15:51:42 UTC 2021

Am 15.02.2021 um 16:36 schrieb Scott Kostyshak <skostysh at lyx.org>:

> On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 10:31:38AM -0500, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:

>>> I think this could have problems when both inset-toggle and font-emph
>>> are valid. For example, create a footnote and write text inside. Then
>>> put the cursor inside and run the command-alternatives.
>>>
>>> I don't think the C-e binding is a Linux/Windows-specific binding.
>>> Rather, I think it's a LaTeX thing. I believe the idea is that the user
>>> or document class can redefine what it means to "emphasize" text from
>>> italics to something else.
>>>
>>> I do think that a fair amount new users are confused by C-e (instead of
>>> C-i), but I have surprisingly seen few complaints so perhaps adapting is
>>> not too difficult.
>>
>> Good catch. Stephan, I think it would be fine to re-assign inset-toggle.
>> I don't think it works terribly reliably anyway.
>
> I use inset-toggle often. Can you remember a specific situation where it
> is not reliable?
>
> I would prefer not to assign emph to C-i, but if we do decide to do it I
> think we should do it for all platforms. I don't think this is a
> platform-specific thing.

I’ve reverted it for now.

Emphasize text parts isn’t exactly the same as the change to italics.
So it’s indeed disputable to use Command-I here.

The use of Command-E for search-string-save on Mac is in par with behavior of
many important applications now, AFAIK. I’d like to stay with the change.
Emphasize text parts (font-emph) is changed to Command-Shift-E now.

The OP of the bug #8055 mentioned the „broken“ binding for Command-E explicitly.

Stephan