[RFC] Simple Search to Bottom Dock

Pavel Sanda sanda at lyx.org
Mon Feb 15 12:10:21 UTC 2021

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 01:00:48PM +0100, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 09:11:23AM +0100, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, dem 14.02.2021 um 22:54 +0100 schrieb Pavel Sanda:
> > > Another glitch: F3 in search pane goes forward, F3 in edit area goes
> > > backward.
> >
> > This looks like an (unintended?) consequence of Stephan's work: word-
> > find now uses cached search information _including_ direction.
> >
> > Stephan is this really how it should be?
> >
> > We could re-bind F3 to word-find-forward in cua, but this has the
> > drawback that it doesn't open the search dialog if the buffer is empty.
> >
> > > If I understand correctly the situation on Mac, when some text is
> > > selected, you can immediately use shortcut for find-next. Wouldn't be
> > > cool to have shortcut for this in linux as well (AFAIK we don't now)?
> >
> > Bound to Ctrl-F3 now.
>
> Oops, I clearly misunderstood the Big Mac Way ;)
> What I thought as cool is in current state of affairs "command-sequence search-string-set; word-find".
> Would you mind if I changed CTRL+F3 in cua bind to this?

Thinking aloud, it might not be even necessary to have new shortcut at all.

What if we enhanced current word-find so that it always uses currently selected
text for the search?
Then F3 would by default use GuiSearch pattern (which is always slected in the
next move) as it used to. But now if you selected specific text and just hit F3
such new selection would be used. No CTRL+F3 needed.

Do you find this useful as me?

Pavel