LyX and markdown / pandoc

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Mon Feb 15 01:11:45 UTC 2021

On 2/14/21 4:03 PM, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 08:58:40PM +0100, Thibaut Cuvelier wrote:
>> Projects like
>> https://github.com/nicowilliams/lyx2rfc/blob/master/src/lyx2xml.py are, in
>> my opinion, doomed to fail in the long run. It is really easier to write
>> code to work with LyX documents that directly within LyX, but the second
>> option gives more confidence in having the conversion work reliably in the
>> long term.
> This is not just your opinion. There were more attempts in LyX history
> trying for direct conversion .lyx -> html/xml.

Please don't remind me...

I had a talk with the Pandoc developer about this one time. (He's a
philosopher, and we work on similar topics, so I know him anyway.) He
was thinking about making LyX one of the formats it handles. I explained
all the reasons that was not a good idea. Being a sensible person (and
obviously a very good programmer), he saw the point right away.

I wonder if we could somehow generalize the HTML and DocBook output
routines so as to be able to write Markdown, say, more easily.