ePub validation

Thibaut Cuvelier tcuvelier at lyx.org
Fri Feb 12 22:39:05 UTC 2021

Dear list,

I can't find the exact message where this issue was raised, but it would be
useful to check if the generated ePub files are valid. Most of the process
relies on external dependencies, so I don't think it's really useful to
test if several XSLT processors give the same output. However, it might be
useful to check if the generated ePub files are valid according to the
spec: it could also highlight errors in the dependencies.

As far as I know, the most-used validator for ePub is ePubCheck (
https://github.com/w3c/epubcheck), a Java-based application (yes, even more
Java >_<). There is also FlightCrew (
https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/flightcrew), a plug-in for an ePub editor, I
don't know if it's useable outside the Sigil editor (but it's only C++, so
that's not a new hard dependency for running tests). In any case, deploying
ePubCheck seems to be easier than FlightCrew (just download a load of JAR
files from https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.w3c/epubcheck/4.2.4).

Is there any interest in making this part of the LyX test suite?
How should test-only dependencies be handled?