[LyX/master] ePub: detect and use xsltproc.

Thibaut Cuvelier tcuvelier at lyx.org
Fri Feb 12 22:18:38 UTC 2021

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 at 21:38, Pavel Sanda <sanda at lyx.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 08, 2021 at 04:18:17PM +0100, Thibaut Cuvelier wrote:
> > > I am happy to give xsltproc a try under linux. Is the output supposed
> > > give identical result to saxon -- or is there some realistic way how to
> > > tell that xslproc output is on par with saxon, which you tested
> already?
> > >
> > > I don't have trained eyes to look on xml/epub and see possible issues.
> > > Pavel
> > >

> > There should not be any significant differences between the XSLT
> processors.
>
> So I tried our saxon and xsltproc 1.1.32 (stable debian) and the result is
> not
> identical. The xmldiff output is unfortunately beyond my comprehension so
> I have no clue whether the difference is 'significant'. You can check the
> attachments.
> But I have not been able to spot any significant difference when viewing
> through epubreader.
>
> Anyway I think it's fair to add to release notes that xsltproc works
> under linux (and Mac if I read correctly Stephan's email).

xmldiff is a very poor tool to compare XML. DeltaXML is the current Roll's
Royce for this task (https://www.deltaxml.com/). It's not free or
open-source, but there's a demo available:
https://demo.deltaxml.com/compare-demonstration-tool/.

Are your two files correctly uploaded? 7Zip tells me that the CRC check
failed for the xsltproc file (and indeed there is at least one missing
character in its index.xhtml). Here are the SHA-256 of the two ePub files,
computed by 7Zip (I downloaded them multiple times to be sure the error
should not come from my side):
Saxon: 3BD5DC8B92F263ED0E8397C95BD39BEA3388E6BFDC3307F7ABA634B81DCD94D5
xsltproc: 58B94B38558DF9CA724F894AD5E479D1D9C314D5E9A857C5B7C828A69FA74EB6

Apart from that, the major difference is that Saxon outputs two XHTML files
(with one file missing parts of its content) and xsltproc only one (with a
large part of the document missing).