Issue with find next in 2.4 Alpha 2

Paul A. Rubin parubin73 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 19:54:11 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I just installed 2.4 Alpha 2 on Linux Mint 20.1 using Liv's repo. Since
there's been some discussion of "find next" (or "find again") on the
user list, I thought I'd give it a try. It seems to be slightly broken
in 2.4 (okay in 2.3.6.1).

Test process:

 1. Open a document.
 2. Use Ctrl-F to open the find/replace dialog. Enter a term known to
    occur more than once in the doc. Click "Find Next".
 3. With no further mouse clicks (so that focus remains on the
    find/replace dialog, and the search term remains highlighted in the
    dialog), type Alt+N. Expected behavior: the next occurrence of the
    search word is highlighted.

With 2.3.6.1, this works as expected. The search term remains
highlighted in the dialog, there is a visual cue that the Find Next
button is selected, and in the document window each Alt+N proceeds to
the next instance of the search term.

With 2.4 Alpha 2, typing Alt+N toggles between highlighting the search
term and selecting the Find Next button in the dialog. (These happened
simultaneously in 2.3.6.1.) Importantly, the first occurrence of the
search term in the document remains selected; no search for the next
occurrence happens. Clicking the Find Next button does locate the next
occurrence.

Paul