2.4 alpha2 failing on windows 10

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Fri Feb 12 05:46:00 UTC 2021

On 2/11/21 11:19 PM, Thibaut Cuvelier wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 20:52, Thibaut Cuvelier <tcuvelier at lyx.org
> <mailto:tcuvelier at lyx.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 20:05, José Abílio Matos <jamatos at lyx.org
>     <mailto:jamatos at lyx.org>> wrote:
>
>         On Thursday, February 11, 2021 4:02:19 PM WET Yu Jin wrote:
>         > Will be pointless imo, it's not the script's fault that
>         python is not found.
>         > The fault is to be searched in the part of code which adds
>         the prefix path
>         > to the environment, which part would that be? After all when
>         installing,
>         > the installer adds the prefix path to its environment too on
>         runtime while
>         > installing and then calls the script, it is successful then.
>
>         Does Tools->Reconfigure works after adding the python path in
>         the environment
>         variable?
>
>         I expect it to work. If it works that means that the
>         configure.py changes are
>         not the culprit.
>

>     In my case, LyX can reconfigure once its PATH includes Python.
>

> I just checked that the situation is quite weird: in Tools >
> Preferences > Paths, I have "C:\Program Files\MiKTeX
> 2.9\miktex\bin\x64;$LyXDir\bin;$LyXDir\Python;$LyXDir\Python\Lib;$LyXDir\imagemagick;$LyXDir\ghostscript\bin",
> meaning that LyX should really consider its built-in version of
> Python, but (re)configure always fails if Python is not in the
> environment variable PATH does not contain Python before LyX starts.

Does it fail if you try to reconfigure once LyX has launched? If so, can
you please open View> Messages, then activate "Files Used By LyX", and
reconfigure? I see, at the top

00:43:30.779: python3 -tt "/usr/local/share/lyx/configure.py"
--binary-dir="/usr/local/bin/"

That is the command LyX is using to try to reconfigure.

Maybe we need also to check what the environment is at that point?

Riki