2.4 alpha2 failing on windows 10

Yu Jin yu_jin at lyx.org
Thu Feb 11 16:02:19 UTC 2021

Am Do., 11. Feb. 2021 um 00:02 Uhr schrieb Richard Kimberly Heck <
rikiheck at lyx.org>:

> On 2/10/21 4:28 PM, Yu Jin wrote:
>
> Am Mi., 10. Feb. 2021 um 20:23 Uhr schrieb Richard Kimberly Heck <
> rikiheck at lyx.org>:
>
>> On 2/10/21 2:14 PM, Thibaut Cuvelier wrote:

>>> like
>>>
>>> We did not change the python detection code since alpha-1... :-(
>>>

>> However, this must be the cause of the problems. I just tried adding
>> Python to the PATH environment variable, and everything worked perfectly.
>>
>> Maybe LyX is tricked in some way by the python.exe that Microsoft puts in
>> the PATH? (It's not a real Python, just something that tells you how to
>> install it.) With this, you can start "a Python executable", but it will
>> not execute any script (I believe it always returns an error code).
>>
>> That may be. Where do we record what Python we found?
>>
>> If so, then the solution would be to try running some simple Python file
>> using whatever we find and see if that works. E.g. run the program "1;".
>>
> I have contributed some lines to python recognition on windows (
> https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/11712): But because of what was written
> by Thibaut (adding Python to PATH), it  looks to me that the failure is not
> in this function but in rather LyX failing to add path prefix. I can also
> reproduce this btw. I have checked the path prefix in the settings, all is
> done right there. But even if I add python dir to PATH, it then will not
> find other dependencies (imagemagik and ghostscript).
>
> I would try reverting all the changes to configure.py since alpha 1 and
> see if that fixes the problem. We did not get this report with alpha 1.
> These are:
>
> f7beed1e
> e95513c8
> 9d4ffac7
> e3fe4d65
> daa6f143
> c0fe2522
> af49df00
> 738dccbf
>
> If that helps, then add them back one at a time and find the culprit.

Will be pointless imo, it's not the script's fault that python is not
found. The fault is to be searched in the part of code which adds the
prefix path to the environment, which part would that be?
After all when installing, the installer adds the prefix path to its
environment too on runtime while installing and then calls the script, it
is successful then.
--
    Eugene