2.4 alpha2 failing on windows 10

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Wed Feb 10 23:02:15 UTC 2021

On 2/10/21 4:28 PM, Yu Jin wrote:
> Am Mi., 10. Feb. 2021 um 20:23 Uhr schrieb Richard Kimberly Heck
> <rikiheck at lyx.org <mailto:rikiheck at lyx.org>>:
>
>     On 2/10/21 2:14 PM, Thibaut Cuvelier wrote:
>>     On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 at 18:34, José Abílio Matos <jamatos at lyx.org
>>     <mailto:jamatos at lyx.org>> wrote:
>>
>>         On Wednesday, February 10, 2021 12:48:17 PM WET Thibaut
>>         Cuvelier wrote:
>>         > @José : reconfiguring LyX does not solve the problem. It
>>         really looks like
>>         > it cannot find Python.
>>
>>         We did not change the python detection code since alpha-1... :-(
>>

>>     However, this must be the cause of the problems. I just tried
>>     adding Python to the PATH environment variable, and everything
>>     worked perfectly.
>>
>>     Maybe LyX is tricked in some way by the python.exe that Microsoft
>>     puts in the PATH? (It's not a real Python, just something that
>>     tells you how to install it.) With this, you can start "a Python
>>     executable", but it will not execute any script (I believe it
>>     always returns an error code).
>
>     That may be. Where do we record what Python we found?
>
>     If so, then the solution would be to try running some simple
>     Python file using whatever we find and see if that works. E.g. run
>     the program "1;".
>
> I have contributed some lines to python recognition on windows
> (https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/11712
> <https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/11712>): But because of what was
> written by Thibaut (adding Python to PATH), it  looks to me that the
> failure is not in this function but in rather LyX failing to add path
> prefix. I can also reproduce this btw. I have checked the path prefix
> in the settings, all is done right there. But even if I add python dir
> to PATH, it then will not find other dependencies (imagemagik and
> ghostscript).

I would try reverting all the changes to configure.py since alpha 1 and
see if that fixes the problem. We did not get this report with alpha 1.
These are:

f7beed1e
e95513c8
9d4ffac7
e3fe4d65
daa6f143
c0fe2522
af49df00
738dccbf

If that helps, then add them back one at a time and find the culprit.

Riki