Verbatim and quotes

Guenter Milde milde at users.sf.net
Wed Feb 10 06:52:15 UTC 2021

On 2021-02-09, Enrico Forestieri wrote:

> [-- Type: text/plain, Encoding: 8bit --]

> On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 04:42:26PM +1300, Andrew Parsloe wrote:
>> At present (LyX 2.4 alpha1 on windows 10) the grave ` and the single
>> straight quote ' (apostrophe) produce "curly" left  and right quote marks
>> in a verbatim environment when compiled to pdf. I would expect them to be
>> preserved as grave and straight quote.

This is a LaTeX feature/bug that LyX up to now does not work around.

>> I can get grave and straight quote by adding \usepackage{upquote} to
>> the preamble -- which is simple enough to do (now that I know of it),
>> but is the current "curly" output the right one?

> I don't know what is the "right" output, but the attached document
> produces the same exact output since lyx version 1.3. So, if something
> changed, it was in changed in latex.

The existence of the "upquote" package shows that at least some consider
the LaTeX default behaviour as problematic.

For LyX, this is even more problematic, as we have usually matching feedback
characters in the GUI which is also the case for double quotes. A consistent
handling of single and double quotes would be welcome.

Günter