Patches for Python scripts

Thibaut Cuvelier tcuvelier at lyx.org
Thu Feb 4 19:52:38 UTC 2021

On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 at 15:31, José Abílio Matos <jamatos at lyx.org> wrote:

> On Monday, February 1, 2021 2:42:43 AM WET Thibaut Cuvelier wrote:
>
> > More generally, what about the other patches? Are formatting changes
>
> > considered risky? What about Joel's suggestions?
>
> My issue is not about the formatting changes, I can live with them even if
> in some cases I think that it is a matter of taste.
>
> The example about documentation strings is striking, why do I need triple
> quotes if the documentation string will only span a single line?

Because it's really preferred for Python:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0257/#what-is-a-docstring

> My main doubt, that I still did not get any feedback, comes from the
> regular expression changes. Those are in no way formatting changes...
>
> And even if the current code is faulty, i.e. it works by accident, the
> proposed changes are wrong.

There is no reason why ] should be escaped in a regex, as far as I know
(and PyCharm doesn't know either). The change should not have any impact on
the correctness of the code.

I've just pushed the patches that were not objected to, plus the one for
Java that was discussed at length here.