A Little kableExtra Problem and its Fix

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Wed Apr 14 16:52:42 UTC 2021

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 03:54:43PM -0600, Doug Martin wrote:
> See the two attached LYX files, and first run "outerparErrorExample.lyx",
> and then
> run the other one.  The first one compiles the pdf ok, but gives an
> annoying error message.
>
> Scott is a guy on the lyx-devel at lists.lyx.org list who responded the same
> day I posted the
> first file problem.  He made the good suggestion that I ask the kableExtra
> guy (Hao Zhu)
> to fix this little problem in kableExtra, which I will do since Hao has
> been very responsive
> to Tom and I (and there is something else that I think he needs to fix).

In case it helps, here is a description of the issue:

I could not figure out how to ask kable_styling() to omit producing a table environment. The reason this is desired is because LyX already produces a table environment and it's nice to have LyX control this table environment for various reasons. Thus, ideally LyX would control the table environment and kable would output only the tabular code. This can be achieved by changing the table environment generated by kable_styling as follows:

  kable_styling(table.env = "@empty")

However, that is a hack. I wonder if it would make sense if table.env is set to NULL or NA for no table environment to be output.

Scott