Clipboard

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Wed Apr 14 16:49:27 UTC 2021

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 11:01:55AM +0200, Jean-Pierre Chrétien wrote:
> Le 13/04/2021 à 19:58, Scott Kostyshak a écrit :
> > On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 06:35:22PM +0200, Jean-Pierre Chrétien wrote:
> > > Dear Developers
> > >
> > > While working with lyx-2.3.7dev compiled with QT5.11.3, I see this in the terminal :
> > >
> > > $ frontends/qt4/GuiClipboard.cpp (92): No timely response from clipboard,
> > > perhaps process holding clipboard is frozen?
> > >
> > > I see it when I come back to the terminal window, so I do not know when it happens.
> > >
> > > Any clue?
> >
> > Do you use a clipboard manager? If so, which one? I use CopyQ and I
> > often see that message in the terminal. I think it's also related that
> > sometimes I select something in LyX and the selection is broken. Does
> > this ever happen to you? It is much better in my experience after the
> > fix for #11715 (which is in the version of LyX you're using) but I still
> > see it sometimes.
>
> Hello SCott,
>
> No I don't use a clipboard manager.

Good to know.

> What puzzles me is that the message mentions Qt4...

You mean the path frontends/qt4? This is indeed confusing, but it is
just the path of the files. It does not actually mean anything about Qt4
and in 2.4.0dev we've renamed the directory to just "qt" so the path
will now be "frontends/qt".

> > If you don't use a clipboard manager, then I'm not sure. LyX does some
> > tricks regarding the clipboard because it does not want to constantly
> > export code whenever the selection changes (that would be expensive), so
> > it tries to wait until an application requests the selection.
>
> Sure, but it is the first time I see this message. Of course, I do not use
> any more LyX to produce documents as I used to do before I retired.
> I'll keep an aye on my terminal.

In that case, it could be that the fix referenced above actually made
things worse for you. You could try to revert the commit 7a158055 on the
2.3.x branch and see if that makes the terminal message go away for you.
If you do that, please let me know if it helps things because that means
we should fix something.

Scott