FriCAS and Lyx

Pavel Sanda sanda at lyx.org
Tue Apr 13 08:57:32 UTC 2021

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 06:35:51PM +0200, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
> Question here is how we can do this? It certainly needs people from the
> Lyx and the FriCAS. Is there interest? How difficult would it be?

Dear Ralf,

there is interest in the sense that we generally accept patches
implementing new features plus minus some adaptation.

On the other hand if you are looking for someone who would write LyX part
I am not much optimistic. Based on the minimal code flow and users
feedback to this forgotten area (CAS integration) I think the devel/user
base is rather tiny.

In past I even tried to create 'fancy' calculator build on top of lyx
which used lyx math editor + maxima in the background, but at the
end I found myself using only maxima itself most of the time.

I don't know FriCAS syntax, but if it's similar enough to other already
supported engines it might be easy enough to just mimick that code
for what you want...