[LyX/master] The foot inset does not inherit fonts

Jean-Marc Lasgouttes lasgouttes at lyx.org
Mon Apr 12 20:55:13 UTC 2021

Le 12/04/2021 à 20:56, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes a écrit :
> Le 10/04/2021 à 10:46, Enrico Forestieri a écrit :
>> I think you reintroduced https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/10263
>
> This is getting interesting. After getting half mad trying to understand
> this issue, I tried something a bit radical: what about reverting the
> fix 001f5a47 to ticket #10263?
>
> The answer is: nothing changes, this bug is still fixed. Something
>
> Could somebody confirm my hypothesis (see attachment)?

The probable answer to this puzzle it the following commit, which was
pushed 4 days after Enrico's commit:

commit 812ff7de7550f7c5370584294e61d59d8bbb8700
Author: Juergen Spitzmueller <spitz at lyx.org>
Date:   Sun Aug 16 11:18:49 2020 +0200

     Take out inheritFont() condition

This was the right thing to do indeed, since inheritFont has nothing to
do with the need to close fonts before an inset.

I have to add that I do not understand half of the work that was done in
this area in July/August 202 by you both, but the result seems very nice.

OTOH, I suspect that the description of inheritFont is now misleading,
and that it should be stripped down to something like:

/**
  * The font is inherited from the parent for LaTeX export if this
  * method returns true, and the font is inherited for all other
  * exports as well as on screen.
  * If this method returns false the document default font is used
  * inside the inset for all exports and on screen.
  */
virtual bool inheritFont() const { return true; }

JMarc