How to not convert layout when pasting?

Andrew Parsloe ajparsloe at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 22:13:27 UTC 2021

On 9/04/2021 5:12 am, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 12:01:29PM -0400, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
>> Sometimes I want to copy something from an itemize environment and
>> paste it into a new enumerate item. If I start a new enumerate item
>> and just paste, LyX converts the layout to itemize. My workaround is
>> to type "a" and then paste. This way, the enumerate is preserved. Then
>> I delete the "a". I forget why I developed this habit rather than just
>> pasting, let LyX convert to itemize, then simply convert back to
>> enumerate. Perhaps the nesting was not fixed when I do this instead?
>> In any case, that's not ideal either.
>>
>> Do others often run into a similar situation?
> Yes, all the time. This is really annoying. However, if you want to
> paste only text (no insets), put the following line in you user.bind file:
>
> \bind "C-M-v" "clipboard-paste-simple"
>
> and then use Ctrl+Alt+V for pasting.

Thank you Enrico. This solves for me a matter that has often irritated.
Strangely, the very first time I tried Ctrl+Alt+V, copying from itemize
to enumerate, the bullet from the itemize environment was also copied so
that the result looked like "1. * itemize" (where the asterisk denotes
the itemize bullet). I've been unable to reproduce since (in 2.4.0-alpha3).

Andrew