How to not convert layout when pasting?

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Thu Apr 8 17:06:32 UTC 2021

On 4/8/21 12:24 PM, Kornel Benko wrote:
> Am Thu, 8 Apr 2021 12:01:29 -0400
> schrieb Scott Kostyshak <skostysh at lyx.org>:
>
>> Sometimes I want to copy something from an itemize environment and paste it into a new
>> enumerate item. If I start a new enumerate item and just paste, LyX converts the layout
>> to itemize. My workaround is to type "a" and then paste. This way, the enumerate is
>> preserved. Then I delete the "a". I forget why I developed this habit rather than just
>> pasting, let LyX convert to itemize, then simply convert back to enumerate. Perhaps the
>> nesting was not fixed when I do this instead? In any case, that's not ideal either.
>>
>> Do others often run into a similar situation? Is there a ticket with ideas for how to
>> improve this? I think I remember racoon opened a ticket but I can't find it.
>>
>> What is the ideal functionality for you? Perhaps we can collect a few specific use
>> cases?
>>
>> Use case A:
>> I copy itemize and paste it into a new enumerate item. I want the enumerate to be
>> preserved.
>>
>> Use case B:
>> I copy itemize and paste it into a new enumerate item. I want itemize.
>>
>> Ideally, we would allow for the user to achieve both use case A and B without needing
>> to explicitly convert the layout. What if "Paste Special > Plain Text" (Ctrl + Shift +
>> V) pasted the text without converting the layout? I don't understand why that's
>> currently not the case. If I remember correctly, when the clipboard item is a LyX item,
>> Ctrl + Shift + V currently functions the same as Ctrl + V, but I'm not sure about that.
>>
>> If for some reason Ctrl + Shift + V is not the way to go, I suppose an alternative is
>> for the user to signal their intent (between use case A and use case B) when *copying*.
>> i.e., if the user does "Ctrl + Shift + C", this could mean "copy without layout". Then,
>> the host layout dominates. I don't think I like this as much as an alternate paste but
>> perhaps I could get used to this.
>>
>> Scott
> Maybe 2 different paste buttons?
> one with 'preserve source layout'
> the second with 'preserve destination layout'
>
> Or 'middle mouse click' vs. 'Shift middle mouse click '

It's hard to imagine a fully general solution here. It's just the first
paragraph that's affected in such cases. I'm inclined in some ways to
think that we should always just preserve the original layout, if it's
being pasted into an empty paragraph. I think that's what people would
normally expect.