Display created docbook

Thibaut Cuvelier tcuvelier at lyx.org
Mon Sep 28 14:51:15 UTC 2020

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 at 16:42, Pavel Sanda <sanda at lyx.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 02:20:21PM +0200, Kornel Benko wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a patch ready to
> > 1.) new format (pdf9) + conversion 'docbook5->pdf9'
> >   This is using pandoc, so that one can display the docbook data
> > 2.) A wrapper/filter around ssconvert for converting spreadsheets
> >   to be inserted in docbook5 documents
> >
> > The first part should be uncontroversial.
> > For the second there may be objections, because the wrapper is
> > written in perl.
>
> That's indeed controversial. What's the justification for writing
> that in perl when all other conversion script are in python?
>
> Apart from that conversion to epub seem more appropriate than pdf...

PDF is useful for debugging purposes, at least (or to have an idea what the
document could look like through standard DocBook chains, for instance if
you are publishing a book and you have to use DocBook instead of LaTeX).
I'd +1 having this functionality in LyX.

pandoc can also produce ePub (although I don't know if it does this well),
it should be quite straightforward to include it too.