CMake file and Visual C++ choking on LYX_WALL

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Wed Sep 2 13:39:20 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 02, 2020 at 03:06:56PM +0200, Thibaut Cuvelier wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Sep 2020 at 09:14, Kornel Benko <kornel at lyx.org> wrote:
>
> > Am Wed, 2 Sep 2020 00:44:03 +0200
> > schrieb Thibaut Cuvelier <tcuvelier at lyx.org>:
> >
> > > Dear list,
> > >
> > > I just tried to enable more warnings with Visual C++. According to
> > > INSTALL.cmake, it should be enough to set LYX_WALL to 1, but I get these
> > > warnings from the compiler:
> > >
> > > cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option 'Wp64'
> > >
> > > In CMakeLists.txt:1091 to 1093, I indeed find that, with LYX_WALL, the
> > > parameter /Wp64 is used (it was deleted a few years ago:
> > >
> > https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/reference/wp64-detect-64-bit-portability-issues?view=vs-2019
> > > ).
> > >
> > > The right flag is the one indicated in the documentation: /W4. Making the
> > > change locally seems to be right (VC returns more warnings for the code
> > and
> > > none for its arguments).
> > >
> > > Was this /Wp64 intentional? It really seems odd there… In any case, I've
> > > added a patch for this fix, if it is welcome.
> >
> > This is a question directed at a Windows expert. Apart from you difficult
> > to discover
> > though ...
> >
> > So please commit.
> >

> I don't know if I qualify as Windows expert, but I committed this.

Nice, thanks for looking into that and fixing it, Thibaut.

Looks like the frist time 'Wp64' was added was about 14 years ago
(a73732e0), and the commit message does not give any clue to why, so I
think your commit looks reasonable.

I'm CC'ing Eugene, our Windows packager, to make sure he sees the change
(Eugene: no response required).

Scott