2.4.0 testing on windows 10

Kornel Benko kornel at lyx.org
Sat Oct 31 20:00:07 UTC 2020

Am Sat, 31 Oct 2020 17:33:24 +0100
schrieb Yu Jin <yu_jin at lyx.org>:

> Am Sa., 31. Okt. 2020 um 15:51 Uhr schrieb Thibaut Cuvelier <
> tcuvelier at lyx.org>:
>
> > On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 at 10:07, Andrew Parsloe <ajparsloe at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I've installed 2.4.0 testing on a windows 10 machine.
> >>
> >> 1. when launching LyX the command window remains open.
> >>
> >> 2. the first preview encountered (e.g. math inset with preview On)
> >> generates this message twice in the command window:
> >>
> >> RunCommand: could not terminate child process: Invalid argument
> >>
> >> Subsequent previews do not generate the message.
> >>
> > I can reproduce this. LyX tries to run py -2 and py -3 to detect some
> > Python installation, but I thought this was due to my using a nonbundled
> > version of Python.
> >

> I would not worry too much, this is normal:
> https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/11712
>
> I actually worry more about the open command window. I compiled and built
> Windows installer as before with the 2.3.x betainstallers. Should I have
> toggled the CMake setting to suppress/deactivate the command window?
> Totally didn't think about that.

Right, we should make it configurable at runtime. Like:
  $ lyx -console
and since we sometimes need the output in the command window, it should not be disabled
at cmake-configuration time.

This is also the reason that console is on by default for the MSVC compiler. (As it is for
lyx2.3.x too BTW)

	Kornel