Spellchecking dictionaries in LyX 2.4 installer

Yu Jin yu_jin at lyx.org
Sat Oct 31 07:53:36 UTC 2020

Am Fr., 30. Okt. 2020 um 22:21 Uhr schrieb Yu Jin <yu_jin at lyx.org>:

> Am Fr., 30. Okt. 2020 um 21:59 Uhr schrieb Thibaut Cuvelier <
> tcuvelier at lyx.org>:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 at 21:31, Yu Jin <yu_jin at lyx.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Am Fr., 30. Okt. 2020 um 21:24 Uhr schrieb Stephan Witt <st.witt at gmx.net

>>> No, unpacked files always take the full size on Windows.
>>>

>> It's maybe possible to enable NTFS compression for these files?
>> https://nsis.sourceforge.io/SetNTFSCompressionFlag_Function
>> I don't know if the files are large enough for NTFS compression to really
>> kick in (it's not supposed to be used if the files are too small and/or
>> difficult to compress).
>>

> Every day you learn something new... Windows life :). I will check
> tomorrow and report how well it works.

Here are some numbers of the installed program on the hard drive with the
installer sizes I wrote earlier still actual.
180 MB what is currently in the installer
715 MB all dicts and thesaurus unpacked
410 MB only dicts unpacked

412 MB dicts and thesaurus compressed
265 MB only dicts compressed

Of course if most want to include all dicts (and thesaurus) I will not
resist. But I think that including everything is too much, including a
couple more popular ones is ok. Because the average user on Windows needs
only 1, maybe 2 anyway and download works well.
--
    Eugene