Seminar example document not expected to work with updated TeX Live

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Thu Oct 29 14:54:39 UTC 2020

Our seminar example fails with an updated TeX Live 2020 system. The
maintainer states the following:

  it is a problem with the new hook management of the current latex.ltx
  seminar is a quite old package and there is no reason to use it with a
  new LaTeX format. It won't be fixed, so the usual way is to use the
  package latexrealease to get the old hook management.

The workaround is to add \RequirePackage[2020-02-02]{latexrelease} as
the first line of the .tex file.

What should we do regarding the example file for LyX? My opinion is that
we should still ship it since there are many TeX systems that are not
updated and even for updated systems the workaround is easy.

Should we just write a LyX note inside the .lyx file that if they get an
error they should export to .tex and put
\RequirePackage[2020-02-02]{latexrelease} as the first line?

Scott