LaTeX3 Error: Backend request inconsistent with engine: using 'pdfmode'

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Sat Oct 24 04:38:23 UTC 2020

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 05:49:22PM +0100, Kornel Benko wrote:
> Am Sun, 23 Feb 2020 16:28:19 -0000 (UTC)
> schrieb Guenter Milde <milde at users.sf.net>:
>
> > On 2020-02-22, Kornel Benko wrote:
> >
> > > [-- Type: text/plain, Encoding: quoted-printable --]

> > > Looks OK for examples/Presentations/Foils.lyx
> > > but not for  examples/fr/Presentations/Foils.lyx
> > > PDF (xetex) (system fonts) OK
> > > PDF (luatex) (system fonts) OK
> > > PDF (luatex) (tex fonts) gives following error
> > > 	LaTeX Font Info:    Checking defaults for U/cmr/m/n on input line 43.
> > > 	LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 43.
> > > 	LaTeX Info: Redefining \dots on input line 43.
> > > 	LaTeX Info: Redefining \up on input line 43.
> > > 	LaTeX Font Info:    Font shape `T1/fcmss/b/n' in size <29.86> not available
> > > 	(Font)              Font shape `T1/fcmss/bx/n' tried instead on input line 49.
> > > 	! error:  (linebreak): invalid list tail, probably missing glue
> > > 	!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
> >
> > This looks to me like a different problem. We should invert or ignore the
> > "LuaTeX with tex fonts" export (Foils is a rather old package and LuaTeX
> > with 8-bit fonts is not supported by many packages and also seldom used.)
> >
> > How about PDF (pdflatex)?
> >
> > Günter
> >
> This works.
> BTW, changing the document language from French to English makes the doc compilable too.
> I tried to create an mwe. The error comes as soon as
> 1.) Doc-class FoilTeX
> 2.) Doc-param empty (no dvips, (with dvips has other errors))
> 3.) Doc-lang French
> 4.) tex-fonts
> 5.) output pdf (luatex)
> 6.) ANY text in Title
>
> 	Kornel

What did we decide to do on this? I think we found an improvement
(remove "auto") for the English doc, but then we started trying to
figure out the French issue, which is different, and we did not make any
change in the end.

Should we remove "dvips" from the custom class option? What exactly
should the "Graphics driver" combo box be set to? I do not see "auto".
Should it be set to "Default"?

Scott