Preference to disable input completion?

Maria Gouskova gouskova at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 22:54:27 UTC 2020

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 4:20 PM Scott Kostyshak <skostysh at lyx.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 09:55:03PM +0100, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 03:07:20PM -0500, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> > > do something similar to preview with the combo box. Pavel, would you be
> > > fine with this or prefer not to add a new preference for this type of
> > > thing?
> >
> > I do not have any strong opinion. If the current behaviour infuriates two
> > people on the dev list its sufficient reason to do something about it.
>
> OK thanks.

Plus at least one person who reads lyx-devel but does not contribute! It's
been driving me up the wall for as long as the autocomplete feature has
been around. I want the same behavior as Scott described: tab autocomplete
in math only. I use tables all the time; it's my main reason for not using
TeX (moving columns around is too hard in TeX). And I'm just as likely to
input text as numbers or other things, so this comes up at least a few
times during each writing session. It seems like no-autocomplete should
actually be the default, or at least as easy to disable as automatic
spellcheck correction.

I saw a similar discussion on lyx-devel a while back about enabling
continuous spellcheck by default, and I almost jumped in with a "please god
no". This sort of behavior and bloat is what sent a lot of us running away
from "word processors" back in the early 2000's, and even in MS Word there
is a way to turn all that stuff off.