DocBook milestone: most tests pass!

Thibaut Cuvelier tcuvelier at lyx.org
Sat Nov 28 05:10:45 UTC 2020

Dear list,

The latest DocBook commit marks a milestone: almost all tests pass! This
means that, for many documents, the DocBook output from LyX is really
useable as-is. Many tests are inverted, but it's usually for quite minor
details (a few DocBook-validation errors) due to the templates: in these
cases, the output will need only minor changes before being used; for
actual documents, most quirks do not happen at all (e.g., people have a
bibliography, not just a stub inset with no actual bibliography behind it).
This seems to pave the way for an ePub output :)!
I would really like to thank Kornel for all the help he gave me on this
endeavour!

I still have a few questions for you, based on what tests are working or
not on my machine (there has already been a few differences with Kornel on
Linux, but nothing has been investigated so far).

   - *export/export/docbook/basic_docbook5*: this test only fails because
   of a bibliography issue. In the test environment, I cannot make LyX load
   the BibTeX bibliography. When I manually run the test from the GUI, the
   bibliography properly loads. I don't know how to debug it…
   -
   *export/templates/Articles/American_Psychological_Association_%28APA%29_docbook5*
   and *export/templates/Articles/Astronomy_%26_Astrophysics_docbook5*:
   these tests should fail, but do not, again for bibliography issues. The
   test files do not load any BibTeX file, so that the references should be
   dangling (i.e. referenced in the text, but not defined anywhere), but the
   DocBook validation ignores this issue when run in the test mode. Again, I'm
   not sure what causes this issue, because it fails properly when I test it
   with my usual workflow (which is just the same validator as used in the
   test suite).
   - export/templates/Articles/Hebrew_Article_%28KOMA-Script%29_docbook5:
   is it normal that the template is empty?
   - May I modify some templates to make the DocBook output valid? For now,
   I only modified the Copernicus template to add one author in an otherwise
   empty field, because this looked really harmless. I'm not proposing more
   complex changes. More concretely, that would be adding a BibTeX so that
   references actually point at something or reworking the placeholder figures
   to look like actual figures (and not only text or boxes). This could reduce
   by a large amount the number of inverted DocBook tests, while not really
   changing anything for the user of those templates.

Apart from that, I may be working next on posters, I think I have an idea
on how to make them work. Beamer is another large piece :)!

Is there any GUI tool to edit layouts? It would have been very useful to
have such a thing that computes the complete set of properties for each
style, saying where each property is inherited from.

Thibaut