Advanced find changes of behavior in master

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Wed Nov 25 14:35:31 UTC 2020

I see a couple of changes in behavior in advanced find that can be
reproduced with the Welcome.lyx file (I attached it for convenience).

1. In advanced find, put "a" in the find area and "c" in the replace
   area and do "Replace all". It takes about 10 seconds with 2.3.0, and
   about 25 seconds with master. I remember when testing before that
   advanced find was much faster than 2.3.0, so if this is just a weird
   "worst case" scenario, then I think that's fine.

2. In 2.3.0, there are more workarea updates. This way, the user can see
   what is being replaced and where. In master, there is only one work
   area update at the end. This seems like an improvement in theory, but
   since the advanced find takes a while, it is kind of nice to watch it
   so that we know it is not stuck and can get an idea of the progress.
   In master, it is strange to see toolbar buttons being enabled and
   disabled (based on where the invisible cursor is) and the scrollbar
   moving, but not to see the cursor moving and the work area updates. I
   don't have a preference on this. I just mention it in case the change
   was not intended.

Scott