Setting to Biblatex makes Biber run even if no bibliography inset

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Sun May 31 14:09:24 UTC 2020

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 09:20:48AM -0400, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 10:10:12PM +1200, Andrew Parsloe wrote:
> > > Or using a \addbibresource line in preamble or a class file.
> > >
> > > Alas I see no reliable way to detect whether or not biber must be run.
> > >
> > > Jürgen
> > I asked the same question in 2018 and Jürgen's answer
> > (https://marc.info/?l=lyx-devel&m=153899371502800&w=2) contained the extra
> > wrinkle:
> >
> > Currently, we run biber whenever a *.bcf file exists in the tmp dir.
> > This is apparently also the case if there are no citations.
>
> Thanks for the responses, Jürgen and Andrew. Seems like a tricky issue.

I just noticed the following message:

  Package biblatex Warning: Please (re)run Biber on the file:
  (biblatex)                paper
  (biblatex)                and rerun LaTeX afterwards.

When using Biblatex with Biber, can we just rely on that message to tell
us whether we should run Biber or not? In case it would help, I can
check whether the use of other processors (bibtex, bibtex8) with
Biblatex gives a similar warning. I suppose it should.

Scott