Significant .lyx EOL White Space Inquiry

Joel Kulesza jkulesza at gmail.com
Thu May 28 16:27:54 UTC 2020

LyX Developers,

I've run into the situation multiple times that .lyx file EOL white space
(usually, a single space) can be significant.  I've found this to be
particularly true before inline equations. This becomes problematic if
someone's editor (automatically) strips EOL white space, which will lead to
incorrect spacing in the LyX file and any generated files.

I've run into this where I (and a colleague, independently) was using a
text editor to perform merge-conflict resolution in a git-stored LyX
document that a team is collaborating on.  He, I, and maybe others have
found such fixups easier to do in a text editor versus in LyX itself.  I
have prevented my editor from "fixing up" .lyx files.  However, if
someone's editor does this, then it is easy to perform merge-conflict
resolution and only later find this problem (perhaps much later, if white
space differences are ignored in their differencing workflow).  Finally,
significant EOL white space seems unidiomatic in a "source file," which is
what a .lyx file effectively is.

This is an expert-use situation, but *I wonder if we have a way to overcome
the need for significant EOL white space.*

Any thoughts that can be provided are appreciated.

Thank you,
Joel