Work on Windows installer

Yu Jin technikmagma at gmail.com
Wed May 13 17:24:11 UTC 2020

Am Mi., 13. Mai 2020 um 18:58 Uhr schrieb Richard Kimberly Heck <
rikiheck at lyx.org>:

> On 5/13/20 7:04 AM, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> > Thanks for sharing all these thoughts.
>
> Let me add my thanks, too. This is all old code and a bit of a mess, so
> it certainly could use a re-write.
>

> > If you can see better way how to organize the code and improve
> readability
> > that's generally good direction.
> >
> > If you decide for solution 1:
> >
> > - the most important point is your willingness to stay around for a while
> >   during 2.4.x series and actively fixing installer bugs which inevitably
> >   appear after rewrite. This might be sometimes tricky as users are
> installing
> >   lyx on very different setups/windows versions etc.  (i.e. the time for
> coding
> >   per se is only half work you will spend on it at the end...)

Yes, definetly!

> > - You might want fork the current installer into completely new
> directory so we
> >   have choice to easily switch back if things go wrong.
>
> I think that is an excellent suggestion. Put it in installer2/ or
> something.

I actually had that thought too, so I'll do it that way.

> > - Any major rewrite better be finished before we start releasing 2.4
> betas so
> >   it gets proper testing. JMarc did not share any release plans yet, but
> my
> >   sense is we are talking about couple months(?).
>
> That would be best, if possible.

I'll probably make it if the eta above is approximately correct.

Alright, thanks for your feedback and support so far. Looks like I am on
the right track with this.

Eugene
<http://lists.lyx.org/mailman/listinfo/lyx-devel>