Work on Windows installer

Jürgen Spitzmüller spitz at lyx.org
Wed May 13 05:47:04 UTC 2020

Am Mittwoch, den 13.05.2020, 07:30 +0200 schrieb Yu Jin:
> 1. I could rewrite everything that I think is doable in a much better
> way, this would mean actually creating a new installer, then checking
> the old one function by function and then deciding which to rewarite
> and which to adopt. This would have a potential of new bugs and I
> would probably share it once it is all finished.
>
> 2. Make multiple smaller changes to the current installer always
> sharing and continuing after they have been accepted. This would take
> a hell lot of time and require to make sure that the installer still
> works after each change. The result would probably be not as good as
> in 1.
>
> 3. leaving it as it is and forgetting about it.
>
> First option is most appealing to me, well, I probably dont have to
> tell you why (fun and challenge). If I were to do any work on the
> installer, then of course I would make sure, that it remains all of
> it's functionality (e.g. silentinstall) and if I run into problems, I
> would ask for advice and talk about progress as this would take some
> time.

Generally, having well documented and readable code is a good thing. A
non-well written installer distracts developers and is bug prone. So
I'd second your preference. Having written this, it seems most
important to me that the code is well documented and plausible also for
other people than the one who is currently maintaining it. So if you go
for that, please keep that in mind.

Would you be able to maintain the current installer as long as the new
one is still under development?

Jürgen