Justify text in work area does not work as expected

Daniel xracoonx at gmx.de
Thu Jun 25 17:28:42 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-25 17:11, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
> On 6/25/20 10:46 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> On 2020-06-25 16:00, Daniel wrote:
>>> In the attached screen capture, shouldn't the second line be spread
>>> out to fill the width of the line? Otherwise it looks as if there is
>>> a line break or so.
>>>

>> Maybe there is a maximum width for spaces such that if the spaces are
>> beyond that, the line gets left aligned?
>
> Yes, this was a change made a while ago. Having huge spaces between
> words makes it all very hard to read.
>
> Riki

I see. And I guess this problem comes up often enough when there are
full width insets.

By the way, non-greedy algorithms for text justification, i.e. those
that do not just put as many words into each line as possible (starting
from the first) but try to reach greater equality between length of
spaces, are to slow, right? Both Writer and Word seem to use only the
greedy algorithm. (Pages does some weird stuff by spacing out characters
within words.) So, I guess that's the case. I was just curious.

Daniel