New Windows Installers for Testing

Jean-Marc Lasgouttes lasgouttes at lyx.org
Tue Jun 9 12:21:09 UTC 2020

Le 09/06/2020 à 13:51, Yu Jin a écrit :

> Am Di., 9. Juni 2020 um 13:12 Uhr schrieb Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
> <lasgouttes at lyx.org <mailto:lasgouttes at lyx.org>>:
>
>     We have to discuss whether running configure.py is necessary at
>     installation time. AFAIR, this is just a trick to make miktex install
>     all missing LaTeX packages (see the chkconfig.ltx part).
>
>     Is there any other use for doing it?
>

> Actually, if the user runs the installer as admin, then the packages
> will be installed as admin (in case the auto install for packages is
> allowed in MiKTeX preferences), which would not be the case if the
> installer wouldn't run configure.py and the user starts LyX after
> installation as user. So in this case it is worth running configure.py
> from the installer. In other cases it doesn't hurt too. Therefore I'd
> say we keep that functionality.

If we want to cater for miktex, it would be much more effective to use
its API to provide a list of packages we need, rather than using the
side effect of automatic downloading packages when they are needed. I
suspect it would be much faster and would allow for a reasonable UI.

OTOH, for texlive, running configure.py is just wasting time if I
understand correctly. And since a lot of packages are checked in
configure.py just for this, we are talking about a lot of time, here.

JMarc