Significant .lyx EOL White Space Inquiry

Jean-Marc Lasgouttes lasgouttes at lyx.org
Mon Jun 1 10:37:45 UTC 2020

Le 31/05/2020 à 19:30, Joel Kulesza a écrit :
> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 9:49 AM Pavel Sanda <sanda at lyx.org
> <mailto:sanda at lyx.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 10:27:54AM -0600, Joel Kulesza wrote:
>      > Finally, significant EOL white space seems unidiomatic in a
>     "source file,"
>      > which is what a .lyx file effectively is.
>      >
>      > This is an expert-use situation, but *I wonder if we have a way
>     to overcome
>      > the need for significant EOL white space.*
>
>     Well, it's all in the code, so one could certainly write patch witch
>     moves
>     the whitespace to the next line.
>

> I understand.  I was mainly asking to see whether there is a historical
> reason for "needing" EOL white space, or whether it came along at some
> point and has persisted.

What happens is that the newline does not exist as far as LyX is
concerned. If it happens in the middle of a word "abcd" , then the file
will contain "ab\ncd". It is very different from what everybody else is
doing.

The line length is hardcoded to 70 to 80 characters long. We could get
rid of this word wrapping, but then LyX files would have lots of
conflict in git when two modifications have been done in the same
paragraph. It might be that anyway a modification in a paragraph breaks
the whole word wrapping anyway and ruins the diff.

If we assume that the space at end of paragraph counts as a space, then
we should have a special sign for breaking in the middle of a word, or
maybe never break in the middle of a word.

This would be a small but far reaching change, I suspect.

JMarc